Multiple DVD to single TS to get over the 9GB limit(SOLVED?)

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
saverio

Multiple DVD to single TS to get over the 9GB limit(SOLVED?)

Post by saverio »

Hi. I'm trying to solve the 9GB limit problem when joining multidisc movies (specifically LOTR).

After extracting the single titles, the size is still more than a title admits (that is, 9 vobs of 1 gig each).

Is there a way to convert so some single transport strem, and then join the streams to get a huge file from which to encode???

<edit>

I'll try to be more specific.

DTOX refuses to output a VIDEO_TS folder with a title with more than 9 vobs for a single title. Probably this is a requirement of the format (say, file naming constraint, very well thought!) but now it's impossible to get a valid DVD image (or folder) with a movie as long as LOTR, that is more than 10GB long.

Being high definition transports (from HDTV?) often much longer than that, maybe it is possible to convert a title into a bare transport stream, then join two of them, and use the resulting stream with HB to get the full movie.

The questions I ask are:

1) is there a software that extracts the bare transport stream from the vobs? (I'm quite sure that some ripping program already does that, maybe MTR?)
2) once the transport stream is extracted, what information do I lose? (audio language and format identification, subtitles identification and so on) (branching dosn't matter for me)
3) how to join multiple transport streams into one?
4) how to feed the result into HB?
Last edited by saverio on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saverio

Re: Multiple DVD to single TS to get over the 9GB limit

Post by saverio »

Another option would be to force DTOX to otput bigger VOBs, but I haven't found a way to do so. Any hint?
MacFly

Post by MacFly »

LOTR with one AC3 track is less then 9 Gb

first episode remove the last chapter (20 min totally useless)
second episode is 8,84 Gb
third, not done yet

if you want more then one AC3 track DTOX will not allow this

the DVD tructure does not allow more then 9 Gb per title in 9 files
99 titles on one DVD
saverio

Post by saverio »

LOTR (Fellowship) with one AC3 track (PAL) is 9.3 GB. Anyway, this may apply to other movies too.
MacFly

Post by MacFly »

only movies i've eve seen so long:

Cleopatre
Ben-Hur
Dance With Wolves (long version)
Das Boot

even Titanic is not so long !

First episode of LOTR
remove the last chapter
first try i ripped this chapter but it's over 1 Gb on names on the screen wit some music 20 minutes ! movie is the same without those 20 min :-)
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

I'm not going to suggest specific software solutions, but HB will grok a hard-drive-based DVD structure with VOBs larger than 1GB each in size.

Rodney
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Liked I post in the "Combined" thread, you are doing something wrong. The Largest of the three was 7.9GB. and I have combined all three. Plus the 2-disk version of Perl Harbor and haven't had an issue.
MacFly

Post by MacFly »

Was testing the third chapter for LOTR SEE (Special Extented Edition) PAL version
more then 4 hours even when xcluding the end chapter !

12,3 Gb needeed with only one AC3 track
10,4 only for the video

what kind of software would allow the build of a unique title to be ripped ? :-)
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I'm only using the Region 1 versions of the LOTR EE, I'm not sure why PAL is that much larger. and I'm including the 5.1 AC3 and Subs.
saverio

Post by saverio »

That was exactly the point of the question starting the thread.

I think the problem is not the size, but the filenames, they have to be VTS_01_1.VOB to VTS_01_9.vob (note two digits for title number and one digit for vob number, this is the same that the known limit of 99 titles, 9 vobs per chapter).

For now, I'm willing to try this way (when I have time):
MTR -> rip select chapters (not title, but all chapters of the title), it gives a single VOB, with the same size of the full half movie.
Then, the same with the second half-movie.
Then, rename the two vobs into VTS_01_#.VOB (where # is 1 an 2)
From these two files, I'll try to build manually the rest of the files (still don't know how). It will result in a valid DVD with just une title (two vobs) but the whole movie.

If anyone has a hint on the las step I'll be very grateful!

<EDIT>

Crazy idea: I'll try with
cat 1.VOB 2.VOB > CRAZY.VOB
and then encode the resulting stream with HB...

WORKED!!!!!!!!

Well, I lost all metadata, like audio language, subtitles and chapters, but the resulting VOB is perfectly fine and HB seems to encode from it. I tried with two random vobs, next days I'll do it with the whole LOTR movie, let's see…
Cavalicious

Re: Multiple DVD to single TS to get over the 9GB limit(SOLVED?)

Post by Cavalicious »

hmm...I guess all I can provide is a pic of what I get when I combine the 3rd LOTR EE:

I guess I'm ignorant to why you would get anything else.
saverio

Post by saverio »

This is the first half of the fellowship of the rings (EE), title 1 is just over 6 GB, without counting the "0" vob (titles?)

and this is the second half, just below 6.5 GB.

Of course this totals more than 12 GB, so alternative solutions are necessary
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

saverio wrote:Of course this totals more than 12 GB, so alternative solutions are necessary
Wrong... :roll: I wish you would try things before you post. All of the vobs aren't the main title. Hell, if I went by that I wouldn't be able to do Return of the King which has a total of 12 vobs. <sheesh>
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

The PAL versions of some of the LOTR editions run over 9GB; I don't know why everyone's being so dubious about that. PAL DVDs have 20% more pixels than NTSC ones; you'd hope that the PAL versions were encoded at higher bitrates to make up the difference and they may have gone even higher. It makes some sense that a movie that you have to split over two DVD9s won't fit onto a single DVD9 without recompression -- assuming some of these 2-discers are created out of necessity rather than pure marketing.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

peterjcat wrote:The PAL versions of some of the LOTR editions run over 9GB; I don't know why everyone's being so dubious about that. PAL DVDs have 20% more pixels than NTSC ones; you'd hope that the PAL versions were encoded at higher bitrates to make up the difference and they may have gone even higher. It makes some sense that a movie that you have to split over two DVD9s won't fit onto a single DVD9 without recompression -- assuming some of these 2-discers are created out of necessity rather than pure marketing.
This logic is acceptable, understandable even. But when you say your adding vobs up on a DVD and concluding that the main title is going to be >9GB, then you are being ridiculous.
saverio

Post by saverio »

Sorry cavalicious, I understand that maybe that two screenshots weren't definitive, but I ripped the "main feature" of both discs with MTR and the resulting vobs are exactly the size I said, that is
part 1: 6,03 GB
part 2: 6,41 GB

If I can't trust the title selected by MacThe Ripper, I don't know where to go next....
saverio

Post by saverio »

peterjcat wrote:It makes some sense that a movie that you have to split over two DVD9s won't fit onto a single DVD9 without recompression -- assuming some of these 2-discers are created out of necessity rather than pure marketing.
Although 9 GB won't fit in a DL disc, not counting all the .IFO, _0.VOB etc.
MacFly

Post by MacFly »

One solution is:

get all the vobs
concat all the vobs in one big VOB file (mine is 10,18 Go for the return of the king with aon AC3 5.1 track) 4h11min
encode this file

this methode is not perfect
audio track information is lost (no information about what langage it is)
subtitles are lost
chaptering is lost

Video is like on the DVD to encode
Audio is the one you choose

Perhaps it's possible to make the same thing with 2 audio tracks in the vob but they will be undefined as well

if someone has a solution wich would allow the subtitles and chapters to be kept it's welcome :)
saverio

Post by saverio »

I got to the same solution (using 'cat' in terminal) and I'm currently encoding the movie. I hope that the audio track order is the same in the two files... We'll see when I get back home this afternoon

Chapters are not really interesting in a movie, much more in cildren's series where you can have a dozen short chapters in a single file, with a proper title.

Anyway, I'd like the solution to be added to the FairMount/DTOX sticky thread for these extreme cases, although the solution is not perfect.
MacFly

Post by MacFly »

Best solution would be for our devs to allow a sort of title combination the same way they do the chapter combination

i would like to be able to choose title 1 to title 5 for example :)
this would de really nice
so using DTOX to create a nice DVD with multiple title so the movie could be 10h long no matter to rip !

only disk size matters :-)

Combining title could also be usefull while ripping video clips on some dvds
each title could be a chapter is the ripper file :-)

The LOTR - ROTK is running at Constant quality 65% - 9 jours remaining
saverio

Post by saverio »

Some 9-12 hours with

ref=6:subq=6:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:trellis=1:analyse=all:mixed-refs=1:merange=32:level=30:bframes=6:direct=auto:weightb=1:bime=1:brdo=1:no-dct-decimate=1

at 67% crf gave birth to a pretty decent movie, 3.9 GB, good audio, for FOTR.

Then I tried to open the original (combined) vob with VLC and SURPRISE!!! the subtitles are there!!!!! (without metadata of course)
This becomes a little more an issue of HandBrake than with catting the vobs.

Does any dev have anything to say about it?
Phil Treble

Post by Phil Treble »

Cavalicious wrote:hmm...I guess all I can provide is a pic of what I get when I combine the 3rd LOTR EE:

I guess I'm ignorant to why you would get anything else.
Hi. I have tried combining Fellowship SEE (PAL Region 2) with DTOX and get a similar VOB set to this, but when I try to encode using PS3 preset (but changing the crop picture settings, and using Discrete 6 channel audio) Handbrake crashes at the end of the encode. Have tried it using 2-pass and single pass and it crashes on both settings. Are there any other HB settings I could try? I am using the latest release of HB (Version 0.9.2 (2008021900)) on a Mac G5 PPC with 6GB RAM/2.0Ghz dual. Any help would be most appreciated.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Make sure 64-bit is checked.
Phil Treble

Post by Phil Treble »

Cavalicious wrote:Make sure 64-bit is checked.
Thanks for this but I can't seem to find this option anywhere?? Which part of the Mac GUI is this in?
Phil Treble

Post by Phil Treble »

Phil Treble wrote:
Cavalicious wrote:Make sure 64-bit is checked.
Thanks for this but I can't seem to find this option anywhere?? Which part of the Mac GUI is this in?
Ahh found it... in Preferences > Advanced