crf plus keyint, watching file size...

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
cvk_b
Veteran User

crf plus keyint, watching file size...

Post by cvk_b »

Seeking out a smoother fast forward and rewind for a certain encode I have been playing with adjusting the keyint settings whilst leaving the crf at 18 (thanks jon, for making '-q 18' a precise option). I adjusted both ways up and down, watching file size go up as more keyframes were added and down as less were added. keyint-min=1:keyint=1 @ crf18 shoots bitrate forward of 4000+ while keyint-min=48:keyint=480 can drop some shows down to 1000. Amazing how quality stays the same.

Obviously the keyint-min=1:keyint=1 ff/rew smooooth as butter both ways. Which is what I wanted, but too extreme on keyframes, not practical. I settled on keyint-min=3:keyint=120:scenecut=45 for that movie, but mostly I'll stick with the defaults.

What I wasn't expecting was how dramatic the keyint-min=48:keyint=480 setting was. I can see how in certain situations that would be useful. Definitely diminishing returns on higher than that though.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody has also played with this, and if so their experiences. There is some developer/code related topics about this here but I thought I'd start an end user topic.
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Re: crf plus keyint, watching file size...

Post by refulgentis »

Usually with encodes I've seen (not Handbrake, but in general) keyint = framerate*10 and keyint-min=framerate, leaving you within 10 seconds for seeking. Keyint every second is insane, as you saw. :-D

Also, if you're using SVN Handbrake, there's really no reason to go above CRF 20 at this point IMO, thats pretty commonly accepted as transparent with AQ.

EDIT: by above CRF 20, I meant below CRF 20, its hard to remember that >CRF = <quality